I love making this dish on a hot summer day. It’s a great side for any grilled meat or fish, and just as delicious as a light lunch on its own. It’s so aromatic and satisfyingly crisp.
◦ 5-6 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
◦ 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
◦ 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and slightly smashed with the back of a chef’s knife
◦ 1 medium red onion, sliced
◦ 1 small cucumber, sliced
◦ 5 tablespoons olive oil
◦ 3 tablespoons good quality red wine vinegar
◦ 1/3 loaf French bread, lightly toasted in oven or grilled
◦ kosher salt
◦ fresh ground pepper
Place tomatoes, basil, garlic, onion, and cucumber into a large bowl about an hour before serving. Whisk together vinegar and olive oil, and pour over vegetables. Cover with a tea towel, and let rest. Right before serving, tear apart the cooled French bread into bite-sized pieces, and add to vegetable medley. Remove the garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Serves 1-2 as a small meal or 3-4 as a side. Use a non-metal bowl.