Spring is finally here and so are the beautiful fruits of the season. Having the vibrant yellow lemons displayed on my kitchen counter-top makes me so happy, almost as happy as eating a delicious lemon square. My family and I are gluten and sugar free, so this recipe is not only bursting with flavor, but they are healthy, too!
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill “Cup for Cup”) or all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup monk fruit “confectioners’ sugar” or regular confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups monk fruit “sugar”
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Sift together 2 cups of the flour, ½ cup of the confectioners’ sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Cut the butter into pieces and work it into the flour mixture using knives or a pastry blender. Combine until crumbly.
- Press the dough into a greased 9×12 inch pan. Pierce holes in the dough with a fork, then bake at 350˚F for 15 minutes or until the crust just begins to brown. Remove from the oven.
- Whisk together ⅓ cup of flour, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and baking powder until thick and well blended. Pour mixture over crust and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350˚F 20 to 25 minutes or until lemon filling is set. Remove from the oven and let cool. Sprinkle remaining confectioners’ sugar over top before cutting into sixteen squares.