This easy kale salad features slivered almonds, chopped dates, strawberries, hemp seeds, and a tasty, homemade, lemon-y dressing, making it a healthy dish and the perfect addition to any fall meal. It is one of our best, go-to salad recipes!
- 5 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (or any seasonal berry)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (sometimes I’ll use apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons dijon mustard (sometimes I’ll use a honey dijon if that’s what I have on hand)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic or shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 -2 whole lemons)
Place in large mason jar.
Blend dressing ingredients in blender, then taste. Sometimes it just needs a pinch of sugar to balance the tart. White wine in place of some of the vinegar is a nice touch. Champagne or Prosecco sometimes adds the sweet needed.
Next, massage chopped kale with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt. Rub with your fingers until leaves begin to darken and tenderize. This makes it taste delicious and gives the kale an edible, silkier texture.
In a large glass bowl, combine massaged kale, almonds, dates, strawberries, and hemp seeds. Shake your dressing once more, and then pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat and add extra dressing as needed to taste.